Thursday, November 1, 2012

Confessions of a Closet Pedivore

This is Peaches.

She's a pretty great cat by any standard, but what I really love about her is that she's the most single-minded, laser-focused life-form I've ever met. When it's lovey time, you've got a furry vibrating mogwai draped on your face. When it's playtime, she's a mackerel-striped Lamborghini doing carpet-ripping donuts around the living room (or mauling feet, as above). And when it's time to go to the vet, there's an 8-pound meth-addled velociraptor in the Kozy Kitty crate.  Basically, no matter what she's doing, Peaches is doing it to the max.

I'm pretty much the same way. Not that I express affection by wiping eye-boogers on people's faces or anything - but man, it is SO easy to pick one thing and just go at it. Whether it's work or writing or hangout time, I shove everything else to one side, latch on to the goal like a facehugger alien, and don't let go until my success is skittering off the organ-splattered dinner table.

So to speak.

This kind of single-minded toe-chewing tenacity was essential in college, but lately I've been running hard up on its down side. It just doesn't work for things like losing weight, or saving money, or making e-friends - you know, the stuff that you can't just lock yourself in a room and power through for 8 hours at a time. And it is so dang exhausting to have to constantly keep on top of half a dozen little piddly things!

So for all you competent multi-taskers out there: what the heck is your secret? Do you make a schedule or a do-list or something? Is there a sticker chart on your wall where you give yourself a gold star every time you hit the gym or practice the glockenspiel? Tell me your winning strategy, so I can make it mine!

In the meantime, Peaches and I are going to use our mutant power to do NaNo this month.  Wish us luck!

The game's afoot;
Follow your spirit: and upon this charge,
Cry — God for Harry! England and Saint George!

4 comments:

  1. "To do" lists are one of my tricks. I also like to tackle the least favorite activity on the list first. It makes me feel accomplished to see each thing scratched off by the end of the day. I think I need to put writing on that list.

    Good luck with nanowrimo. I'm sure you're going to kick butt and make your agent happy and rich:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pam - you have already given me a killer edge on that front!

    And yeah, I think you and I both need to practice "microtasking". You know, "bank, laundry, grocery store" fit real nicely on a to-do list, so maybe the the trick is to put "write a page" and "catch up on Twitter" on there about ten times each, so we can feel all productive and zesty when we cross each one off the list.

    Y'know, sometimes I think success is basically about sabotaging our own efforts at failure. Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad news...

    The ability to multi-task is really undiagnosed ADD.

    And I guess if I'm making a sweeping statement like that, then I ought to mention the ability to focus on one task for eight hours straight is undiagnosed OCD.

    My advice - just try to suffer from ADD and OCD in equal measure, and never at the same time, which, by clinical standards, probably means you need to be bipolar.

    There. Good luck.


    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, wow, Brooke - that is a, uh... a hell of a pep talk right there! Thanks for the brilliant idea - now I just need Bizarro Superman to cross into our world with a bottle of anti-Ritalin and nega-Paxil, and I'll be set!

    ReplyDelete