Sunday, May 12, 2013

String Theories

Today, the Internet is full of people talking about how they have the best mom ever.

I always feel a little weird posting about Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, and even Christmas, because it seems like the culturally-mandated Celebratory Period doesn't leave much room for the people who don't have a big shiny happy Norman Rockwell parent / sweetheart / family to gush about on Facebook.  (This holiday paranoia is probably a result of having watched Gremlins at much too young an age.  Chimneys, you guys.  Don't go down them.)

BUT.

The universe has been kind enough to issue me a truly stellar mom.  This deserves recognition.  So in the spirit of "show, don't tell," here is something of her that you can enjoy for your very own.

See this here?
This is a crude replica of something I found while I was helping her clean out her office one day: a little piece of cardboard with two sets of strings glued onto it.

So I said to her, I said, "Hey Mom, what's this?"

And she said, "Oh, that's from a workshop we did a few months ago.  They gave us little pieces of string and told us to use them to illustrate a problem, and show how we would solve it."

"Oh, I see.  So the problem was that they were all in a jumbled mess together, and you straightened them out and organized them."

"No," she said.  "The problem was that they were all separate and lonely, so I put them together."


...I was originally going to use this as a stepping-stone to wax philosophical about something.  On reflection, I'll just say this: my life has been immeasurably enriched by people who arrange their strings in ways that never would have occurred to me.  Thanks for keeping it funky fresh, Mom.

Okay, this screw is important, so I'm putting it here with the oranges.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks Tex - out of all the things I read today this made me genuinely smile. I like how your mom thinks - and arranges her strings. Very cool.

    I got a lot out of this little post with its deep message.

    If you spent the day with your mom I hope it was a wonderful one!

    Cheers, Jenny @ PEARSON REPORT

    PS - I have posted, in the past, about the UnMothers of Mother's Day if you're in need of a read! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aMEN, Jenny! Amen! We did indeed have a splendid day with Momzilla, and I absolutely love your post. Speaking as somebody who's pretty leery of the whole kid-having proposition, it is great to be reminded that there is no shortage of needful ways to contribute to the world, nor any shortage of people who need, want, and deserve the love.

      Delete
  2. I like your mom's answer to that. It's very sweet. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, P - she is too! With a heaping helping of ass-kicking on the side.

      Delete
  3. Your mom sounds like a cool chick, kinda like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I promise that whatever it is you like about me, there's a 93% chance that my mom is the one who put it there. She's so rad it hurts to contemplate sometimes. But if that's how I got to have awesome friends like you, I will contemplate it fearlessly!

      Delete
  4. Wow, this is great. Thanks, Tex!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for the comment love - it ain't France, but it's something!

      Delete
  5. I tend to avoid posting on/about holidays. There may be an exception with Christmas... maybe? It isn't that I don't appreciate them (mothers and father and things), but I just never really celebrate most holidays/birthdays with more than a card and hello anymore. With exception of the big ones involving family gatherings.

    Your mom is pretty genius! It's a great message, and I view blogging to be just one facet this takes place. The eventual interconnectedness with others.

    Jak at The Cryton Chronicles & Dreams in the Shade of Ink

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete