Wednesday, October 9, 2013

A Psychological Portrait of Deschutes County, Oregon

Today, I'm writing from a town called Bend.  It's in central Oregon, the site of this year's Thompson Tour.

(Long story short: instead of getting together at Christmas, when everything is crowded, closed, and/or seething with winter plague, we gather the clan in the fall, at a different place every year.  By spending the money on travel instead of presents, we can see all kinds of fun and interesting places, and nobody has to cook!)

I've ventured out from my North Texas hobbit-hole a fair few times now, and let me tell you – there is really something special about going out west.  It's not because the nature out here is somehow magically better than anybody else's nature.  It's not necessarily some epigenetic American pioneer fantasy, either.  I think maybe it's because the ratio of earth to civilization is still so high here, even after all the Manifest Destiny and Go West, Young Man and Get Your Kicks on Route 66 of the last three hundred years.  Look here:

from Wired Science, and more specifically, NASA's Suomi NPP Satellite
Isn't it striking?  Out here on the left side of the country, the constellations of our towns and cities are still – even in the year 2013 – such sparse little specks in the vastness of the world... and you can't stay here long without feeling that.

It's frightening, really, to drive up roads that close for snow six months out of the year, and wonder what it would be like to break down in a blizzard and find yourself helpless, miles from any other human being.

image courtesy of my sister's enormous phone

Or to sit by a still lake, your phone at zero bars, and imagine how long you would go unfound if you suddenly had a heart attack.

taken by me
I have a taste for that kind of fear.  Even experiencing it in this safe, limited, touristy way pulls you back through thousands of generations of humanity – to people who huddled around fires in the dark, hoping to get through the night unnoticed by the things that lived outside the light.

Actually, I think that's one of the Western's most powerful attractions.  It's the only genre I know of that centers on a place – and more than that, a place so immense that it affects every living thing within its boundaries.  You had better step lightly and stay wakeful, it says, because nobody is coming to help you if you can't.  It's not horror – there's nothing malicious about it – but a place so vast and ageless as to be almost incapable of noticing you.  Human emotions like love and hate have their opposite here, in hundred-mile stretches of geological indifference.

sister again
Of course, while I-the-individual am tiny indeed, we-the-species are not, and it's dangerous to forget the power we have to alter our planet.  Still, in many ways, coming here feels like going home to my parents' house: we are bigger now than we were even a thousand years ago, and maybe even slightly more mature... but it's good to visit every now and again to remember where we came from, and to reflect on our smallness.

...and again.  No, I don't know how she does it either.
Happy birthday, me.  And thank you, Earth, for letting me live on you.

And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn,
Would scarcely know that we were gone.

15 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to you! And thank you for putting into words what I can only marginally capture in pictures on my magnificent phablet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Al! And thanks for your magnificent phablet-skills - we make a great team.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday! You sure do have a way with words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! It's nice to write pretty, but the trick is putting it to good use - I hope I can follow your example!

      Delete
  3. Well spoken. I hope each birthday brings more insight and that you keep sharing. You do have a way with words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mom! No promises on future insights, but I will share like gangbusters - you set a heck of a precedent!

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday! Wise words and beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, ma'am - that means a lot coming from you! (I know you know how well they go together!)

      Delete
  5. Tex, I never imagined you to have the heart of a poet. Well said. The words are as beautiful as the pictures.

    Kyle
    gkylewhite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's me - heart of a poet, soul of a child, mouth of a second-shift diner waitress. Thanks for the kind words, buddy - I know you know a deep thought when you see one!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Sorry, that was me above, I hit the wrong button, don't ask, reposting!)

      A very happy birthday to you! Sorry I missed this and couldn't be more timely, but I hope you had a very good one!

      I guess I must be the anomaly in the bunch, which is par for course, since what I took from the post was that no vacation is really satisfying without mild existential panic and scenery that could be concealing multiple unfound dead bodies.

      I also agree you have a way with words. Your smithing of the language has to do with shaping deep thoughts and ideas into understandable yet reflective relatability. Whereas the last time I was told this it was because I'd said that of course men had boobs, they just called them 'pectorals'.

      Many happy returns, my deliciously-hipped Texan friend. You deserve them all.

      Frankles

      Delete
    2. Hey, dude - no worries at all; you see how late I am in reply! Let's be belated buddies together.

      Because for one thing, nobody else understands compulsory anxiety like you do, and I am so glad I'm not the only one who can look at nature's majesty and start reaching for the antacids. (Have I told you lately how much I miss Borkowski?) Or maybe you're fine with nature and it's just me that gets that queasy thrill, but you're still the best empathizer I know.

      Anyway, thanks so much for feeding my ego and being my partner-in-deep-thoughts-and-occasional-spontaneous-awkwardness. It's no lie to say that you have actually, literally made me a better writer and thinker and a far more considerate person, and I can't tell you how much I enjoy those things. Stay with me, Frank - hang out with me and put up with me, and that will be the best birthday present ever!

      Delete
  7. This was so beautiful, Tex! You make me want to hop in my car and drive away right now, actually. When my fiance and I drove to the Grand Canyon, we got that same sense of 'nowhereness.' It's a lovely and frightening feeling, and did make me more grateful for home when I returned.
    Happy Trails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, ma'am! Sorry for putting the wanderlust monkey on your back, but I'm so glad to know that you know the feeling. Insignificant specks are we, and that's actually not a bad deal!

      Delete