Sunday, October 20, 2013

Five Delightful Things


Just what it says on the tin: this list is both self- and writing-centered, and contains up to 78% unrefined enthusiasm byproducts by weight. 

1.  I took my first-ever advance check to the bank this week.  Dollars are happy things!  But I gotta tell you, "I Are Real Writer" vibes are far, far happier.  And the money, in turn, led to

2.  Me posting an ad for an honest-to-God for-real conlanger (that's short for "constructed-language-er", I believe) to create honest-to-God for-real languages for my books - and getting whomped by interested applicants.  I am so, so stoked to finally be doing this.  It's so fun and expensive and makes me feel like a million bucks.  Is this what it's like to get a makeover? 

Speaking of which, mad props to the Language Creation Society and David Peterson in particular, who's taken so much time out of his busy schedule as the reigning Supreme Conlang Overlord to help make my want-ad more than a series of ignorant grunts and squeals.  (Writer-peeps, holler at me if you think you might be in the market for conlang services - I've now got more fantastic contacts than I know what to do with!) 

Yes, I'm breaking the first rule of Fight Club.
I am okay with that.
3.   Write Club 2013 will crown its champion tomorrow, which is going to be great no matter what.  I've already said plenty about why I love this contest, so I'll just add this: I have had more fun over the past four months, met more awesomesweet writers (and CRITIQUERS, good gravy!), and actually-literally-for-real upped my game because of this humble little game - it's unreal.  The book that comes out next year is going to be better because I got to do this.   And I want so badly to bring this action over to DFWcon somehow.  (Check out my latest post, by the way, if you're find yourself flagging: Five Secret Advantages of the Unpublished Writer.)

Look at this cover, you guys.LOOK AT IT.
4.  There are only two weeks left until The Golden City comes out and I get to read it!  Not gonna lie, y'all - I will probably go whole-hog navelgazing bananas about this book in pretty short order.  I am SO EXCITED to see another astonishingly underused historical setting brought to the fantasy aisle, and treated like more than a convenient slapdash shellacking for the plot.  (I've also had the privilege of swapping fishman-fistbumps with the author, and the fact that she's kind of excruciatingly rad doesn't hurt either.)

5.  As God is my witness, I am WRITING AGAIN!  Take that, responsibilities!  The fig of Spain for thee, sleep schedule!  Lick my lemons, adulthood - I'm base-jumping to Narnia and you can't stop me!


You need to have things trying to stop you so that you can get a better sense of how fast you are going as you smash through them.

24 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the extremely well-deserved WRiTE CLub win!!! Your work was unique, entertaining, amusing, and totally gripping. When I was one of the ten submission judges, your first piece was my #1 choice by a country mile. Your second piece was also stellar and was again my favorite among the second group of submissions. Your final piece was also great, but truthfully, I don't know if it was quite as good as your first two, and I thought it was actually a pretty even match in the finals.

    But still it's clear that overall you still completely dominated the contest, and absolutely deserved to win -- Heck, I woulda given you the title right from the get-go based on that first entry with Holly.

    Congratulations again, and I wish you tremendous writing success -- I look forward to being able to read more of your work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dude! That means an extra hell of a lot coming from you. You gave THE best critiques to everyone, from first to last, and never skipped a single entry - I have been just, like, stunned by your diligence and thoughtfulness and insight all the way through. (I also seem to have developed a Pavlovian response to the sight of a happy jamming velociraptor... I think I'm okay with that.)

      Anyway, I really appreciate the vote of confidence (and handy suggestions - I can believe that my first-person skills could use a polish!), and will be delighted to return the favor. Good luck in your quest for literary success - if you put half as much diligence and genius into your own work as you put in to helping us with ours, it won't take you long at all!

      Delete
  2. Hah! I really enjoyed reading this! So glad to read your updates and hear how you're getting along, it's encouraging as well :D Can't wait to see your book on the shelf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, ma'am! It's really hard to write stuff like this without feeling like the world's lousiest braggart - nice to know that it doesn't come off that way. Hugely enjoyed your email, by the way - be on the lookout for a reply in short order!

      Delete
  3. I should've known you'd sweep up, Tex. I haven't been following Write Club since I couldn't tell who you were (though the second I saw your pieces I knew your writing) but CONGRATS! You don't even have to ask which piece I loved best.

    I look forward to buying your book next year like you have no idea. Hopefully I won't just stand there ugly crying in the store.

    Frankles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude. That would be the best possible PR ever. I may have to hire you to tear-stain a few of the ARCs.

      But seriously - thanks for all the love, buddy. You're a terrific friend (natch!), but also my first-ever didn't-know-me-from-Adam honest-to-god fan - and the fact that you're this many years older and wiser (and SO freaking smart it hurts me to think about it) and still think I'm pretty neat... well, it makes me feel like I could go drop-kick a baby seal and still count myself a decent human being.

      Not that I would, of course. Unless you wanted to come with. What are you doing on Friday?

      Delete
  4. I wanted to make sure to personally congratulate you for a hard fought victory this year. The competition was fierce, but you started out strong and could not be denied. Although this might be considered a small feather to place in your cap...its a feather none-the-less. :)

    It's funny that you mentioned DFW's involvement. Earlier in the year I contacted somebody from the conference about possibly doing a LIVE version of WRiTE CLUB during the conference, but I never heard anything back. But if I'm not able to achieve my writing goals by July of next year I might be contacting you about hosting...as I would hate to see the contest fade away.

    Enjoy your victory lap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am bummed I never heard about WRiTE CLUB anywhere. Guess I've been hanging out in the wrong literary circles. What an interesting idea.

      As for DFWcon, I can see the possibilities. Hope someone associated with the conference checks their email and responds.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, DL! I consider it a mighty feather indeed - impressing ten judges, a whole jury of your peers, and a cadre of super-awesome authors/editors/agents is so much harder than catching a slush pile reader on a good day (and I am better for it!)

      I'll be glad to raise the question at our next conference meeting, which should be in a few weeks - a live version sounds amazing! Please definitely don't be shy about calling me as an understudy, regardless - if you can sit down long enough to put much time and diligence into your own writing as you have for this contest, I have zero doubt that you will be phenomenally successful - and I would love to help make that happen!

      Delete
  5. I already did all my gushing over at D.L. Hammons site. Congratulations on your WRiTE CLUB victory. I am a fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, for ALL of your gushing. My heart pittered and pattered like you wouldn't believe every time I saw your cute little pencil-drawn icon and all your enthusiasm and quoting - I can't even tell you how that made my day. (And your praise means even more now that I know you are none other than Emma T. - I hope you don't mind if I blogstalk you, cuz I am TOTALLY excited to see Lena Ladimer in action!)

      Delete
    2. Golly, blogstalk away since I signed up to stalk your blog this morning and didn't even bother to ask. I have never heard of the "rural fantasy" genre, but based on these WRiTE CLUB 500 word snippets, I can't wait to read more. And Lena ... well the first draft is done mid-January and I hope it's good. Thank you, Tex, and once again ... Congratulations!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on the Write Club win! You earned it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sir! And thank you so much for all your awesome critiques and feedback - so excited to see what you do with your next project!

      Delete
  7. Hey, congratulations on winning WRiTE Club! I was honestly nervous to read your 2nd and 3rd pieces because I loved the first so much I thought it could only go down from there---but you came through on all of 'em. I'm so happy to find out that we'll be getting a whole book o' you very soon. :)

    P.S. I am so very confused about the constructed-language-er.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks, Nicki - that is a heck of a compliment!

      (And I am a little confused too, which is why I hired someone to help me. You know those fictional languages like Klingon and Elvish and what-not? Conlangers are the people who make them! And dang it, I am gonna get me one!)

      Delete
  8. I see you're a shaker and a mover. Congratulations on your upcoming launch and for winning the Blogfest 2013. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the release and happy blitz day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on WRITECLUB and on the upcoming book and well on the language construction...just sending the happiest vibes that I can your way!!! Happy Blitz!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Tex! This is Denise from DFWWW a couple of weeks ago. I just wanted to congratulate you on your check and for the "I Are Real Writer" vibes! Obviously, you ARE a real writer. You go girl! I'm also very interested to hear your experiences with the con-langers. And that book cover at the end of this post is GORGEOUS! (Also, I love your blog. I'm working on getting one started now and feel so lost! Envying yours a great deal at the moment!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Denise - and thanks so much for looking me up; I am just hugely flattered by your interest!

      Needless to say, it was great to meet you at workshop, and I hope you'll stick with blogging - I would hate to have to wait for Wednesdays to keep up with you!

      Delete