Monday, May 19, 2014

Requiem for a First Novel



Boy, it's a hell of a thing – I went weeks without putting anything here, because I just had NO time to even contemplate it, and now I got posts stacked up and circling like 747s at LaGuardia.  

But I do have to bump the regularly scheduled programming for today.  Because today, I said goodbye to my first book.  Yep – as of right now, One Night in Sixes is officially off to the printer, and out of my hands forever.  So, you know, huzzah and bittersweetness and metaphors about sending the baby off to college and all of that.  All of it!

Here is what's really amazed me about the whole process, though.   At every milestone on the road to publication, the scope for changes gets smaller.  First the content edits (big picture story stuff).  Then line edits (sentences and paragraphs.)  Finally the page proofs (individual words, typos, punctuation.)  Like that duck in a pond that’s slowly freezing over, you the author are swimming in smaller and smaller circles, until finally you have to heave your duck ass out of the water, because it – your book – is becoming a fixed, finished thing, with no more room for you or your endless fiddling.

Which isn't to say we didn't catass every page of those revisions.
Needless to say, I've spent MONTHS angsting about how this book will be received – you know, how well it will sell, and who will hate it and why, and whether and how I can deal with that.  But what surprised me this weekend is that... like, I thought that by the time I got this far, I would look at this sucker and think, "Yes.  This is absolutely the best that it can ever be.   It is a flawless gem, one that I am now sick of looking at.  Go, my precious diamond, and cleanse the world with your light!"  

But I'm not sick of it.  I love this story as much as I ever have.  And it's not perfect.  Or at least, I'm still looking at it and seeing ways to change it, even though the deadline for those kinds of changes has long since passed.

I thought that would make me sad.  After all, this is my first published work, my first impression.  This is the thing I chose to write when I was soft and new and nobody had any expectations about me.  Once this book is out in the world, I will officially no longer be an unknown quantity.  I will be judged by my sales numbers, star ratings, genre, style, reviews – rightly or wrongly, people will look at this thing I made and think, "That's her.  That's what she does."   And although I can always go write something completely different later, One Night in Sixes will always be out there - a yardstick that people will use to measure me, and a permanent part of my reputation.

But even though it was years in the making, this book isn't my one single, special pearl.  It's more like a skin or a shell – a reflection of me and what I could do at a specific time in my life, and one that had to be finished and cast off so that I could start growing another one, and another after that.   

(With that said, I do hope you enjoy my first fictive sloughing - I will be talking about it in far more appealing terms over the next few months!)

Oh, and in the name of posterity and motivation for everybody who's still in the trenches, this manuscript was born on February 2nd, 2007, and ended yesterday, May 18th, 2014.  Seven years, three months, and sixteen days.  Keep at it, y'all.  It's a long row to hoe, and there's nowhere to go but forward.


Pulitzer Prize, here I come!  Hemingway!  Steinbeck!  Scuzzbopper!

16 comments:

  1. Aw, Tex, I'm sure you'll have something else to catass before long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - oh, just you wait, Henry Higgins, just you wait! (Like, for real - I owe you an email so hard.)

      Delete
  2. congrats!! This is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU ARE. And thank you! (By the way, I'm not saying, or anything, but if you were to go to workshop at the Denton library tomorrow, that might be especially awesome. Just saying.)

      Delete
  3. Many authors, myself included, NEVER read their book after it's printed in its final format, for fear of finding THE MISTAKE YOU MISSED.

    Luckily, we have our mothers to point them out for us. My mother called me up upon the release of my first book to tell me about an error she found -- a sentence that was repeated. It was an editor error, not mine, but nonetheless, she made sure I knew it was there.

    Gotta love Mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, dammit, Mom! I GIVE, and I GIVE, and it is NEVER ENOUGH!

      You know she totally went out and got an industrial-grade magnet so she could stick your book to the fridge, though, right? I mean, that's the whole beautiful maternal paradox in a nutshell. (And thanks for the sage advice, too - I will solemnly swear not to crack that spine, for therein lies the abyss!)

      Delete
  4. I'm excited AND scared for you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU - that is EXACTLY where I am too! (Likewise, actually - no Internet is so good for writing productivity, but so dreadful for everything else! Stay strong!)

      Also, I just realized that your initials are like, perfect for some kind of cute android nickname. What are your feelings about "Seedy"?

      Delete
  5. Y'know, I've read your book twice already (figuratively, literally it was about eight times) and I STILL cannot wait to see the finished product and read the absolute hell out of it. I'm so proud of you! Releasing your book out into the wild! I know you've been nervous about it, but... you did good. You did. You're AMAZING.

    <3 Frankles, proud president of the Miz Molly Boon Fan Club

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much, Frankles - I was just saying to a friend yesterday that like... there is something really irreplaceable about the people who knew you and believed in you when you were just a no-name humble schmuck - and although my schmuckitude has diminished appreciably in the last couple of years, I never EVER want to lose my humble. Thank you so, so much for sticking with me, buddy - I can do all things through Frank who strengthens me!

      Delete
  6. I just pre-ordered it on Amazon. After beta reading book 2, I am dying of curiosity about all those cowboys and fishfolk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I can only imagine how strange book 2 was without that first part - but thank you so much for slogging through it, ma'am; I hope the first one will measure up!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations Tex!!! Added to my "look forward to reading" list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, dudette - if it lives up to your expectations, I will know to call it an unqualified success!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete